Why did foreigners need to get an NBI clearance?
Actually, foreigners need to have an NBI Clearance showing that this applicant is with good standing and not committed any crime while inside the Philippines.
It’s a primary requirement for a lot of immigration-related transactions, including the following:
- Application for a resident visa in the Philippines.
- Renewal of 13a immigrant visa issued to foreigners married with a Filipino.
- Application for immigration/citizenship in another country after living in the Philippines for at least six months.
NBI clearance for foreigners has the same purpose: to show that the applicant is in good standing and never committed any crime while in the Philippines.
If you want to know how to get NBI clearance for foreigners in the Philippines, follow this step-by-step guide below.
Step 1. Register online
- The process is almost the same whether you’re applying as a Filipino citizen or a foreigner.
- Go to the NBI Clearance Online Services website and complete the registration form for first-time applicants. If you have registered already, simply sign in with your e-mail address and password.
Step 2. Secure online appointment
- Fill out the “Applicant Information” form. Provide all the personal details requested such as your birthplace and address.
- When you’re done click “Save Information.”
- Next, click the “Apply for Clearance” button either on the top of the screen if you’re using a mobile phone or upper right corner of the page for desktop or laptop users.
- It will then ask for the valid ID/s that you’ll present on the day of your appointment.
- For foreigners, acceptable IDs include the following: Passport or ACR I-Card or “Alien Certificate of Registration.”
- After clicking “I Agree” in the pop-up window, you will then be taken to a page where you can select the time and place (NBI branch) where you will file the application.
- It must be noted that foreigners in the National Capital Region (NCR) can ONLY apply at the NBI Main Clearance Processing. For those outside NCR, you can apply at the NBI branch at your respective provinces but expect a longer waiting time (10-15 days) because of the need to mail your application to the Manila office.
- The NBI website doesn’t provide this vital piece of information so you should keep it in mind when securing an appointment.
- In the old system, foreigners were required to indicate the purpose of their application. However, since the NBI clearance is now a multi-purpose ID, this step has been removed from the procedure.
- Go straight to the side of the page and select your preferred payment method. You can either pay the NBI clearance fee online or through over-the-counter transactions in select banks.
- As of this writing, a multi-purpose NBI clearance costs Php 130 plus additional Php 25 for the use of the e-payment service.
- Don’t forget to keep the receipt as proof of payment.
- After making the payment, check your email for the confirmation or go back to your NBI clearance online account and click “Confirm Payment” in the “Transactions” page.
- Print the application form and bring this together with the official receipt on the day of your appointment.
Step 3. Show up on your appointment
- Go to the NBI Clearance Main Office in Manila on your appointment date and time. The NBI Clearance Building is located in U.N. Avenue, Manila right across the Manila Doctors Hospital.
- Wear the proper attire (shorts and slippers aren’t allowed) and don’t forget to bring the following:
- Original and photocopy of your passport (bio page up to the visa implementation page) OR Original and photocopy of your ACR I-Card or “Alien Certificate of Registration” (front and back).
- Print-out of your application form, official Receipt.
- There’s no need to bring passport-sized pictures since your image will be captured during encoding.
- Upon arrival, go to the Alien Registration Office on the second floor where you will fill out the Alien Registration Form No. 5.
- Submit the form and then move to the next station for the biometrics (picture taking, digitized signature, and electronic fingerprints).
- Next, go to the last station where you will present your documentary requirements and provide your manual fingerprints and signature.
- The NBI personnel will stamp or write the claim date at the back of your receipt.
Unlike Filipino citizens who can claim their NBI clearance on the same day, foreigners have to wait approximately 3 to 5 days for their clearances to be issued.
Step 4. Claim your NBI clearance
- Return to the NBI Clearance Building on the date indicated on the payment slip.
- In case you’ll not be available to personally claim your NBI clearance, a representative can do it on your behalf, provided that he/she brings an authorization letter with your signatures and a copy of your passport.
Here ends the article on the NBI clearance for Foreigners. I have mentioned all the necessary details in the given article and has also mentioned the requirements of the documents needed by the user to have in possession for clearance.
I hope you read it and understood it easily. If you have any doubt feel free to comment below. Thank You.